[thelist] Back to font sizes (for the eighty-fifth time)

Patricia Meeks pmeeks at email.msn.com
Fri Jul 21 14:46:36 CDT 2000

> So what are you guys using to get by until the browsers get better?

Erin:

While the fonts display larger in NS, I've just gone with percentages to let
the user control the situation. I've done this to keep things simple and
from watching a colleague with severe eyesight problems try and negotiate
the web.

Using percentages, he's able to set his browser's style sheet to bump up the
sizes so he can read the text. I've also really simplified the layouts and
made as many fluid tables as possible. I have decided against absolute
control over layout as I would do with printed material and concentrated on
good navigation and ease in helping users find the info they want. Of
course, I do my best design wise (color, layout, type styles, etc.) I just
keep it loose enough to fit a wide gamut of needs and equipment. The purpose
of my site is for engineers and buyers to find information they need to make
a purchase. Keeping that in mind makes the CSS decisions easier for me.

Regards, Pat
pmeeks at msn.com