[thelist] (thelist) When Do You Bill--Before or After Publication?

Aileen Wrothwell aileen at stonebikini.com
Fri Jul 21 16:20:56 CDT 2000

Hello people,

You've been so unbelievably helpful that I need to lay another billing
question on you.  When you finish a client's site, when do you bill?  I
generally take a percentage of the estimated cost as an up-front deposit for
the work that I'm proposing to do.  When I receive their money, I start
work.  I write my contracts so that I can invoice monthly until the work is
finished. I'm coming up on a significant invoice, and then there should just
be one final bill after that.  I'm wondering when you all bill for a site?
Do you publish it for the client and then send them an invoice, or do you
send them an invoice, and then publish the site when you receive the money?
I'm leaning toward the latter for this client, and then also sending a final
bill for services rendered as a part of publishing the site (which of
course, cannot be calculated until I actually do the work).  I imagine that
there is a great diversity of thought here, so please share.  Thanks again,
Aileen

Aileen Wrothwell
Stone Bikini
E-mail: aileen at stonebikini.com