[thelist] CSS, Netscape, .class oddity?

Peter-Paul Koch ppk at xs4all.nl
Sat Jul 22 07:25:01 CDT 2000

Tony K Bounds wrote:
>> I've been trying to apply a .class via an external css to an entire table
>> that encloses the layout for a page with a 2 pixel purple border.
>> .bigbox { text-align: center; margin: 10px 0px 0px; padding:
>> 0px 10px 10px;
>> border: solid 2px #750151; width: 636px; height: auto }
>
>border: 2px solid #750151 ;

Remove height: auto, seems dangerous to me and it's useless anyway: the
height is always auto. width: in a style sheet usually doesn't work for
tables in Netscape.

>	My suspicion is that the most-potentially problematic CSS properties
>are width and height -- and possibly padding and margin -- anything that
>could force the browser to reformat the page from a static HTML rendering.

In my experience border declarations are dangerous, closely followed by
having a lot of styles on the page (doesn't matter what and where).

Always close all P's, TD's and what more if you have a lot of styles. I
once had a large page with a lot of style that crashed in Netscape. Turned
out that the HTML'er that had updated it had forgotten one </P>, which
strictly isn't even required. Nonetheless the page crashed on it.

>My recommendation is to remove all of your CSS properties for your table
>except one, and try viewing the page in Netscape. If that proves successful,
>add back in another property, view it again, and so on, to see which
>property or properties might be offending.

Good idea. Unfortunately Netscape does nothing with margins and paddings
applied to a table or TD anyway, so why not remove them altogether?

ppk