[thelist] CSS, Netscape, .class oddity?

Tony K Bounds tbounds at gci.net
Sat Jul 22 11:20:22 CDT 2000

on 7/22/00 4:02 AM, Peter-Paul Koch at ppk at xs4all.nl wrote:

> Remove height: auto, seems dangerous to me and it's useless anyway: the
> height is always auto. width: in a style sheet usually doesn't work for
> tables in Netscape.

I can remove height: auto. Unfortunately I needed the width declaration to
constrain the proportions of the border to properly encompass the table.

>> My suspicion is that the most-potentially problematic CSS properties
>> are width and height -- and possibly padding and margin -- anything that
>> could force the browser to reformat the page from a static HTML rendering.
>
> In my experience border declarations are dangerous, closely followed by
> having a lot of styles on the page (doesn't matter what and where).

I've got to admit I was getting a bit spoiled using IE5 on my Mac. It seems
to handle most styles OK and I was having fun using them.

> Always close all P's, TD's and what more if you have a lot of styles. I
> once had a large page with a lot of style that crashed in Netscape. Turned
> out that the HTML'er that had updated it had forgotten one </P>, which
> strictly isn't even required. Nonetheless the page crashed on it.
>
>> My recommendation is to remove all of your CSS properties for your table
>> except one, and try viewing the page in Netscape. If that proves successful,
>> add back in another property, view it again, and so on, to see which
>> property or properties might be offending.
>
> Good idea. Unfortunately Netscape does nothing with margins and paddings
> applied to a table or TD anyway, so why not remove them altogether?

The border is gone. It caused too much chaos with IE <5 on my Mac. Maybe
I'll try again in a couple years.
\ \/ /| |   |_   _| Vital Life Technologies         T o n y  B o u n d s
 \  / | l___  | |   205 E. Dimond Blvd.,Suite 459   tbounds at vitalife.com
  \/  l____|  |_|   Anchorage, AK 99515             Ph:  907-349-7185
                                                    Fax: 907-522-1345
__Life Enhancing Products for the Mind and Body__________________________