[thelist] SSH/Telnet/SecureCRT

Daniel J. Cody dcody at oracular.com
Sun Jul 23 14:28:43 CDT 2000

Heya Gina -

"Gina K. Anderson" wrote:

> Now, I have done a bit of searching around on the net,
> because I had *no idea* what this was. The link they provide
> above goes to a site that looks like another hosting co., so
> I think they mean VanDyke's SecureCRT program. I found that
> SSH capable telnet programs (even the shareware) costs
> around 60-100 bucks..eesh. Two I looked at:

SSH can be thought of the same way as telnet, it lets you provide
commands to a remote server through a text based interface. Once
everything is said and done, they both look and act the same. SSH just
provides a secure link to the server you're connecting to so no one can
peek in on what you're doing.

> Is there a cheaper way to do this? :P I really don't use
> Telnet *that* often, but I find I occasionally need it to
> debug a Perl script or to set up a cron or something.
> Anyone throw me a bone?

Putty is a full featured SSH client for free. SecureCRT blows IMHO, and
if you're not going to be using it much, there is no reason to pay for
it :)

Shout if you have any more questions.

.djc.