[thelist] XHTML overrated

Daniel J. Cody dcody at oracular.com
Mon Jul 24 13:28:59 CDT 2000

Peter-Paul Koch wrote:

> As aardvark already said, the opposite is equally true. I don't say you
> should not use XHTML, I'm just providing a counterweight against those
> people who think it's a horrid sin not to use XHTML. In the end, it's a
> personal choice, and nothing more than that.

+1 - I think this sums it up really nice.

<tip type="apache">
Including the 'server status' function of Apache is a nice way to see
what kind of traffic you're getting at any point in time. Simply add
something like:

<Location /server-status>
    SetHandler server-status
    Order deny,allow
    Deny from all
    Allow from .your-domain.org
</Location>

and restart apache. You'll get some basic info on whats happening on
your server ATM and it will only be available for you to view(or
your-domain.org, note the preceding . )  You could also password protect
it with a basic authentication schema. Adding the 'ExtendedStatus On'
line to your httpd.conf file will get you more detailed info.
</tip>

.djc.