[thelist] Hosting a site

Daniel J. Cody dcody at oracular.com
Mon Jul 24 16:30:43 CDT 2000

"Hoenig, Robert" wrote:

> 1.) What does transfer rate mean?  I've seen anywhere from 500 meg to 5 gig
> per month.  I'm assuming the higher the better, but I would like to know
> what it actually means.

Transfer rate is how much data you're allowed to transfer. Example; lets
say you have 5 images on your front page of your website. If each image
was 50kb , you've just had 250kb(or .25mb) of data transfered. Thats
only one person viewing your front page once keep in mind. If you have a
lot of traffic to your website, you'll want you're transfer rate to be
somewhat high. If you've got a pretty 'normal' website of between 5-20
pages, this shouldn't be an issue(by comparison, the evolt site(browser
archive included) had about 17GB of data transferred, or about 450Mb a
day)

> 2.) What is the difference between E-mail Pop accounts and E-mail aliases?
> I found companies that would give you 5 pop accounts and you could have
> unlimited aliases.

martin already got this one pretty well :)

Shout if you have more questions

.djc.