[thelist] Are Web designers a dying breed?

James Spahr james at designframe.com
Mon Jul 24 18:28:29 CDT 2000

on 7/24/00 5:34 PM, javier at javier at msm.cl wrote:

> Alertbox is discussing the same subject this week...
>
> http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20000723.html

This is the funniest alertbox yet.

Here's my sarcastic take on it:----------------------------------

Print Design as we know it will be dead.

As more printing presses are made and more books are printed, more people
will demand that all print publications conform to the standards of the best
selling book (think: the Bible).

Most people are expecting Leather Binding. Using Perfect Binding or Wire-O
will only confuse you users. Remember, users are stupid.

The most significant character in your book should always been printed in
red ink. People are expecting red ink. Changing this color is a break from
standards are should be discouraged.

Using non-standard navigation, that is not integrated with the content (read
- using page numbers rather than chapter and verse) will only confuse users,
and will cause problems when the coming portable 'pamphlets' arrive. There
will be no room for page numbers

you get the point. There will always be companies that value design as a way
to communicate, I wonder is Jakob realizes that he's completely alienating
the Nikes and Sonys of this world.

Wallpaper be damned, every thing should look like the New Yorker.

James.