[thelist] Web Standards Project and Mozilla duke it out...

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 25 20:29:01 CDT 2000

yes, yes, and yes...

> compliance? My reading of the WSP's complaint,
> though, is that they don't
> care about time-to-market and market share per
> se, except in that those are
> a very real part of the equation of putting a
> standards-compliant browser
> into the hands of actual users, where it needs to

into the hands of *developers*... your point is there, but i still
resort to the turnip argument... users don't care about compliance...

> 	We could start a huge flame war (but we
> won't :) over Nelson's
> unqualified argument that there is only one cause
> of Netscape's failed
> condition: Microsoft, and its evil bundling
> practices. While we can all

at least he didn't call them evil, and i do think he makes his point
without overstating it or calling them the evil empire...

> past sins. Mozillazine's response, however, is an
> unconvincing effort at
> deflection and self-justified victimization.

not what i got... but i was surprised they didn't cite the 'volunteer'
nature of so much of this... as well as the (somewhat) shifting
standards...

> a tough skin. They should
> be hungry and on the prowl, but instead are
> whimpering about a sting in their paw.

i think they had to answer... the WSP, as one of its original staunchest
supporters, had a beef that needed to be addressed... the response was
warranted, and i don't think it was too much...