[thelist] Printing help - thanks

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 25 20:34:13 CDT 2000

well, pre-defined settles it, really... if you have control over your
users, then it is pretty simple...

> we can make a
> sample document in Word, strip out the header and footer, and
> then write
> our own stream of formatted text into the sandwich (i.e.
> between the header

yep... still wary of Word, personally, when you want to control print
(fonts, personal settings, other crap)...

> and footer). It's easy. Additionally, from what *I* know
> (which may not be
> much admittedly), in order to do PDF, you have to create a
> template with
> Acrobat Writer, and then write to the "fields" inside the
> template. We
> don't have writer. RTF is a very low-cost solution that meets
> our needs. If
> we had to go cross-platform, I admit, we would have chosen PDF.

correct, you do need to create a document in Acrobat, but you can even
go so far as to use the output options of some page layout apps or draw
programs (FreeHand, Illustrator, and PageMaker all export to PDF out of
the box)...

> This sounds like you are doing it without having a
> template... Is this true?
> Are you creating the whoel document on the fly?

nope, we had a template, but it was *very* loose...