[thelist] Web Standards Project and Mozilla duke it out...

Jacob Stetser lists at icongarden.com
Wed Jul 26 05:43:34 CDT 2000

>Netscape brought us <blink>, so I'd rather have Microsoft making the
>standards.
>;)

While we're at it, Microsoft brought us <marquee> and the integration
of the HTML engine with system-level security access into Outlook,
paving the way for a whole new breed of viruses.

I'd rather have an independent body making the standards, _with
input_ from companies with major stakes in the standards, like
Microsoft and Netscape.

Oh yeah - it's the W3C. :)

And someone called web standards shifting. CSS1 has been set in stone
since 1996. CSS2 was approved in 1998. HTML4.0 was approved in 1998
or 1999, iirc. That means browser developers have had in some cases
between 2-4 years to make their products fully compliant. In this
sort of economy, developers who can't build a satisfactory
standards-compliant solution in that amount of time should be shot!

icongarden.com
Making good ideas grow || http://icongarden.com/