[thelist] Are Web designers a dying breed?

Roger Newbrook roger.newbrook at mari.co.uk
Wed Jul 26 10:51:49 CDT 2000

> > > Somewhat surprising then that it won a D&AD award recently.
> >
> > not to me... other than the 5k awards, most design awards are still
> > steeped in the print world or eye-candy... hell, even the A List Apart
> > awards were all too happy to reward eye-candy over truly usable sites
> > that satisfied the user's goals...
>
> And D&AD is a bit of an old luvvie-fest anyway. There is absolutely no
> chance that the Design Museum's site would fail to win, even if it were a
> complete pile of poo.

hey.. it's my turn to feel beleagured and patronised :( It was the flash
version I was referring to, and no, it doesn't think it is television. Erika
said "The flash site served its purpose with me, being that: yes, I now want
to visit this museum" so suppose it was successful on one level then.
Interesting to hear different reactions, I still like it though, but my
subjective opinion as an end user ( the flash design museum site satisfied
whatever goals i had re aesthetics, content and usability) is sometimes
different than those held as a developer, where other issues (accessibility
etc.) need to be addressed in their own right as part of my work.

should i shut up now? :(

roger