[thelist] On line Newspapers

martin burns martin at members.evolt.org
Wed Jul 26 11:13:27 CDT 2000

> From: "Jack Freeman" <jfreeman at mvillage.com>
> To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
> Subject: On line Newspapers
> Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 08:32:23 -0500
>
> Greetings All,
> I have a simple question. I am working on web based version of an =
> established sports newspaper. I am looking for statistics or your =
> insights into what is the relationship between having an on line version
> =
> and subscriptions to the newspaper. In other words does having an online
> =
> version hurt or help subscriptions? Your comments and links would be =
> most appreciated.=20

Probably cut subscriptions of the paper product but boost overall readership.

Remember that the economics of the newspaper industry dictate that the cover price doesn't even pay the printing, the rest coming from advertising (your average computer mag would cost about 3/4 times the price without the ads, even though it would be very, very slim).

So if you can boost readership (and therefore ad revenues) while cutting print costs (cos you're paying for a smaller run), then you're on a winner IMO.

Cheers
Martin