[thelist] IE bug

Walker, Matthew Matthew.Walker at cdc.org.nz
Wed Jul 26 18:12:49 CDT 2000

> When Explorer receives a file it translates it to it's
> internal language,
> MSHTML (correct me if that's not what they call it), and
> interprets what to
> display from that. That is why you can get differences
> between what you've
> coded and what's viewed via "view source"

If you have that IE addon that lets you right-click and "View partial
source" you notice that all the code is tidied up -- all tags nested
properly and closed, etc., and also if the block you select to view partial
source for cuts across tags (e.g. includes the start but not the end <b> tag
or whatever) then even that tag gets closed.  I think this code is drawn out
of IE's internal tree representing the page.

However "View Source" virtually always shows the code identical to the file.
In Netscape this doesn't happen. JS document.writes have disappeared, for
example.

IE must also maintain a copy of the file source code. This bug I mentioned
must occur befor that source code is stored. Using "must" in the loosest
possible way....