[thelist] please critique my taoist beta revamp

Erika Meyer erika at seastorm.com
Wed Jul 26 19:14:13 CDT 2000

>Thanks to everyone who's commented so far.  Since words like shrill,
>assaulted and don't-like have been used about my coloring, I'm suffering
>from low color scheme esteem.

I like your colors fine. They're bright, but what isn't on the web?

For comparison you might check out one of mine:
http://www.humboldt.edu/~jnhsu/  slightly different level of blues.
Reddish/purple hover, but only because I had to leave my links at the
default.

Regarding hover-color: I suggest playing around on the yellow end...
even veer toward orange. If that doesn't work, veer toward purple...
You might also consider possibilities involved in doing a
background-color hover (white?), rather than a link color hover...
just play & see.

And, hey, there's no law saying you have to have a hover color. (oh!
hover's gone?)

And, oh.  I'd avoid making any non-linked text/headers the same color
as either your visited or unvisited links.

>The Yin/Yang (Tai Qi) symbol will surely be making plenty appearances once I
>can tame those colors (oh behave!).

I did a Taoist-type site once (it's offline now) but it was all in
red/black/white/grey... but I was just bouncing off the traditional
yinyangy colors.

>I didn't know <a href="#top"> needed an anchor.  It won't work in some
>browsers without one?

right.  Apparently IE5/Mac is one.

>~Arthur (fingers still crossed, hoping some large burrowing African ungulate
>mammal that feeds on ants and termites with its sticky tongue will add a
>cent or deux.)

what, are aardvarks opinions better than the rest of ours?  Well,
fine, then.  Let me save him some effort:

Validate your page.  Your HTML needs some fine-tuning.
http://validator.w3.org/
validate your CSS, should you decide to use more than a bit.

Lose the font tags.

Since you want to exeplify Tao, build a liquid site.  (just kidding.)

________

For more ideas:
http://www.alistapart.com/stories/dao/dao_1.html
The Tao of Web Design.

________

Try to ignore the fact that the article is illustrated with some type
of Buddha.

Erika

/o)\
\(o/