[thelist] please critique my taoist beta revamp

McCreath_David McCreath_David at xmail.asd.k12.ak.us
Wed Jul 26 19:19:12 CDT 2000

> Thanks to everyone who's commented so far.  Since words like shrill,
> assaulted and don't-like have been used about my coloring,
> I'm suffering from low color scheme esteem.

Oh, don't suffer! We're all here to help each other up, man. Webdev
bodhisattvas! Color can certainly be a tricky thing. Blue on blue on blue
(with some purple thrown in) can work, but it becomes dicey when you're
working with more than 3 or 4 shades of the same color and the problems are
exacerbated by the 216 color palette.

IF you accept the limitation of the 216 color palette, I've found it much
more expedient to design with complementary colors rather than analogous.

If you decide to push the palette beyond the 216, your options open up, but
using shades that are too close can still look less than ideal on a screen,
even if it supports millions of colors, because of individual settings.

There's a nice, albeit brief, tutorial on color theory for the web here:

<wrap>
http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/6858.html
</wrap>

> The Yin/Yang (Tai Qi) symbol will surely be making plenty
> appearances once I can tame those colors (oh behave!).

Balance is everything, right? ;)

> ~Arthur (fingers still crossed, hoping some large burrowing African
ungulate
> mammal that feeds on ants and termites with its sticky tongue
> will add a cent or deux.)

You might also look at this site, which was pointed out several months ago
by somebody on this list (Scott Dexter I think?).

<wrap>
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/design/layout/site051998.asp
</wrap>