[thelist] On line Newspapers

Niklaus Haldimann n.haldimann at derbund.ch
Thu Jul 27 09:25:30 CDT 2000

At 08:34 26.07.00 -0500, Jack Freeman wrote:
>I have a simple question. I am working on web based version of an
>established sports newspaper. I am looking for statistics or your
>insights into what is the relationship between having an on line version
>and subscriptions to the newspaper. In other words does having an online
>version hurt or help subscriptions?

Just came across those two articles at Wired News (I know):

 Net-Loving Brits Hate Net News (Culture 6:00 a.m. PDT)
 http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,37755,00.html?tw=wn20000725
 Here's another statistic that flies in the face of doomsayers who
predict the Internet will kill newspapers: Nearly 90 percent of British
Net users say they'll never go online for news.

 Web Killing Newspapers? Ha! (Business Monday)
 http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,37745,00.html?tw=wn20000725
 Those who predicted the Internet would kill off traditional newspaper
publishing just need to look at the most recent figures: Ad revenue is
far exceeding circulation decline.

Niklaus.

--
http://ebund.ch http://egames.ch