[thelist] Disability Accessible Websites

Dave Olsen dmolsen at pop900.gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri Jul 28 10:43:27 CDT 2000

Obviously you're in the same situation as us in NASA. My advice from
hearing readers speak during demonstrations is to go out and get a
free text-only browser and (as stupid as this sounds) read it out
loud (or quietly) to yourself to see if you can make it through your
site and that everything makes sense. Reading out loud will force you
to actually read it and not gloss over things. It's a great idea to
get some real world feedback on it as well. One thing to remember is
that if you're going to say text that is a link to say "link" before
reading the text. You don't need the alt tag or whatever to have link
in it because the reader does it for you. You can download a text
only browser at:

Lynx (for Win) --
http://browsers.evolt.org/?sexy=yes&swinging=yes&dir=lynx/281/32bit/
MacLynx --
http://browsers.evolt.org/?sexy=yes&swinging=yes&dir=maclynx/2.7.1/
Unix -- sorry, you're on your own to find one

I use MacLynx and it matches up almost exactly to the screen readers
I've heard (pwbWebSpeak and JAWS).

>Does anyone know of any web sites that will simulate viewing a web site
>through a Reader or other equipment used by people with disabilities? We
>just finished a major overhaul of our web to make it more accessible and it
>passed Bobby (http://www.cast.org/bobby/) for Priority 1 accessibility
>errors, but we realize we need to do more. We would like to know just how
>our web looks to a person with disabilities. We have contacted several
>agencies for people with disabilities requesting them to review our site and
>comment, but I thought I'd ask if anyone on this list has any experience
>with this.
>
>Thanks in advance for your help.
>
>Niki Turnbull
>Webmaster at Fluor Fernald