[thelist] Dreamweaver vs. OS9

Julia Frizzell Julia_Frizzell at Brown.edu
Fri Jul 28 14:34:54 CDT 2000

At 2:02 PM -0400 7/28/00, Marlene Bruce wrote:
>Is anyone else experiencing problems on launch with Dreamweaver 3 on a G4
>with OS9?
>
>I installed Dreamweaver, and when I try to launch it aborts midstream with a
>Type 2 error. I first searched the Macromedia site for clues, found none,
>and then called their tech support. The woman I spoke with was very helpful,
>but I tried everything she could think of (including validating all my fonts
>with ATM, rebuilding my desktop, and upgrading my system software to 9.0.4),
>and we couldn't figure out what the problem was. The next day she wrote me
>back and suggested I install OS9 and Dreamweaver 3 on a Zip and run it from
>there. This solution doesn't work (and would be a clunky one besides) 'cause
>the OS alone won't fit on a Zip. I've subsequently emailed Macromedia back,
>but haven't gotten a response. I'm going to have to call them again, but
>thought I'd check here as well.
>
>If anyone has any clues what the problem or conflict might be, please let me
>know.

Dreamweaver runs fine on my G3 with OS 9.0.4, so I don't think it's that issue.

Have you tried starting from a base extension set, and seeing if DW
will launch? Or starting with extensions off? I'd also try trashing
DW and reinstalling. If you don't trash first and there is a problem
with the app itself, the Mac often does not replace the files that
are already there when you do a reinstall.

Feel free to email me offlist if you want more help. This sort of
troubleshooting is what I do for a living. Web design is just my
fantasy. :)

Julia Frizzell                        http://www.netspace.org/~glyneth
julia_frizzell at brown.edu                   http://www.theblackroad.org
glyneth at netspace.org                                      ICQ: 8458071
"The courts have ruled that Microsoft has performed an illegal
function and will be shut down." -- Rewind, NPR