[thelist] Network Solutions policy (long)

Tim Stewart timliveshere at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 29 10:37:05 CDT 2000

I'm currently not subscribed, but thought list might be interested in this
question I've put to Network Solutions:-

<<
I have been trying in vain for several days now to get a response to a
question about registering a domain name with network solutions.

The name in question was registered with Network Solutions in 1998, and the
registration has not been renewed. The 30 day 'grace period' which I
understand applies in such situations has expired. Network solutions system
has not freed up this name for re-registration. HOW DO I REGISTER THIS
DOMAIN NAME?

This is a very simple question, and Network Solutions have not seen fit to
answer it. In a recent interview, Network Solutions CEO compared the
internet industry to a gold rush, and pointed out that those who make
fortunes are not the gold diggers, but the tradesmen who sell them their
picks and shovels, so they can stake their claim.

Network Solutions is in a unique situation to capitalise on and exploit this
market at this time. If it is doing so without adopting fair policies, it
will be at the expense of the interests of the Internet as a whole.

If it is the intention of Network Solutions to become the world's leading
"cybersquatter", it is ideally placed to do so. Delivering monopoly power
such as this into the hands of unscrupulous organisations could stifle the
potential for innovation and creativity in the Internet.

Of course, the alternative explanantion, that Network Solutions simply
doesn't have the competency, the efficient management of resources, the
infrastructure, or whatever, that enables it to answer queries of this
nature, is equally worrying. Perhaps there exists no coherent policy on
registration of expired domains? If this is the case, the complacency with
which Network Solutions is treating it's consumer base verges on
contemptuous.

Whatever the reason for Network Solutions' lack of response to my queries, I
would appreciate it if the organisation would at least have the common
courtesy to acknowledge this communication. I shall be forwarding copies to
the various Internet user's and developer's forums, such as WebMokey and
Evolt.

If Network Solutions care to comment upon the situation I describe, and
their policy in these matters, I will be happy to forward these replies to
the same forums.

Best Regards
Tim Stewart
mail at timothystewart.com