[thelist] Odd duplicating-on-insert error

Palyne Gaenir palyne at sciencehorizon.com
Tue Aug 1 06:37:51 CDT 2000

Hi Evoltians,

Has anyone ever seen the simple text data entered in a field cause an
error?  The data, not the form or processor?

I have a simple form (multipart/form-data as it has a file field)
with simple insert action.  The insert with the file works fine;
without the file still works fine; with sample data and real data
works fine.  The final field is a textarea that is varchar(3900) in
the db. I entered all sorts of stuff; fine. I edit and update; fine.

But when I try to enter one SPECIFIC record including the 402 chars
textarea value of that item, the insert chokes -- and shows it is
trying to enter TWO of every single field value in the previous form.
I view source on the form... nothing weird; no dupes. Not just the
textarea duplicated but the entire form.  Change merely the info in
the textarea and it works -- if I just take out this one paragraph
and replace it with any other paragraph, shorter or longer in chars,
it works fine.  It's the same on edit/update.  Pasting in this ONE
string to the textarea causes the whole form to try and duplicate
insert, but all other strings pasted there instead work just fine.

There is nothing in the para to cause this that I can see.  Does
anybody have any clue??  Thanks if so. (see below)

Palyne

I can't imagine anything in this para doing it, but just for ref
here's what it keeps choking on (no humor please ;-)):

[entry]
I’ve known Joe from when he was a US Army remote viewer and I was a
consultant to the SRI remote viewing project, when everything was
classified and we couldn’t talk to anyone. I had the honor of writing
the introduction to Joe’s book. Not only will you find solid
information on remote viewing, including how to do it ideas, but
you’ll find the author has a good heart. Highly accurate and very
human.
[/entry]