[thelist] target="_new" and xhtml 1.0

Erika Meyer erika at seastorm.com
Wed Aug 2 18:33:16 CDT 2000

Interestingly, a similar discussion took place on webstandards at
about the same time... regarding HTML4 strict & target... and of
course, as has been pointed out, XHTML is essentially HTML4 with a
few adjustments...

Here is a quote excerpted from an email sent to that list (authored
by Dane Weber) which explained the "target" issue for me:

<Dane Weber quote>
You'll need to use Javascript. There is absolutely no structural meaning to
'target' except that you really don't want anyone following that link away
from your site. All windows are a user-agent issue.
</quote>

While I like the simplicity of the "target" attribute, and (unlike
others) I do not think new windows are necessarily a deadly sin....

but it makes sense to say that browser windows don't have structural
meaning and should be dealt with via scripting or something other
than HTML.

Erika

erika at seastorm.com
http://www.seastorm.com