[thelist] SALARY.COM: Is that right???

Matthew Walker matthew at electricsheep.co.nz
Thu Aug 3 21:49:29 CDT 2000

This is not off topic at all. People will be unlikely to state a figure
here, and there is often a long and tedious debate about whether or not it
is legal to do so. You would not generally charge a page rate, rather an
hourly rate. Page rates tend to encourage clients to insist on extremely
long pages, which is an arbitrary handicap to impose on a site. You can tell
a client what your hourly rate is straight away, but you will need to get
back to them with an estimate of the total site cost after you have gotten
as much info as possible out of them. Don't give them a price straight away.
Talk with them about what they want and make it clear that you will get back
to them with an estimate in x days. When you supply a price, be very clear
about what is and isn't included, and that changes will cost extra. Find
your job at salary.com, divide by 2000 hours, double it for overheads
(non-chargeable hours, expenses, sick pay, etc.) and that's your hourly
rate! Offer an earlybird discount if you like but don't start with low rates
and increase them.