[thelist] Angora socks comment on DJC article

Kevin B. O'Brien ahuka at ahuka.com
Thu Aug 3 23:23:39 CDT 2000

At 08:47 AM 8/2/2000 -0700, Scott_Brady at themoneystore.com said something
remarkably like (but somehow subtly different from):

>I'm not sure if I see the point in deleting it from the database.  I think the
>only people it would offend would be the people who get the joke (and
>therefore
>have a fairly dirty mind).  I admit, I have a mind that is often in the
>gutter,
>and I'm still not sure I get the joke.
>
>More importantly, this starts evolt down the road of censorship.  Nothing in
>those comments were actually obscene.  Suggestive, yes.  Obscene, no.  What's
>next? Do we need to start censoring all the posts?  Who decides when something
>is inappropriate?  After we start censoring posts, do we then start making
>claims that all posts are the property of evolt.org and evolt.org reserves the
>right to use all submissions to thesite in any way they see fit?  Wouldn't
>that
>be ironic, considering how evolt got its start.
>
>I think if people don't like the comments, then they can choose to ignore that
>person's posts in the future.  I think if there was something patently
>offensive
>in these comments (personal attacks, truly obscene language, etc.), then
>we can
>consider removing articles or bleeping out the words.

I agree with Scott on this one. Being a censor is a thankless task anyway.<g>

--
Kevin B. O'Brien                TANSTAAFL
ahuka at ahuka.com
Help fight SPAM. Join CAUCE. http://www.cauce.org/
"Americans have different ways of saying things.  They say `elevator', we
say `lift'...they say
`President', we say `stupid psychopathic git'...."  -- Alexi Sayle