[thelist] XML based CMS

Eduardo Dominguez lalo_dominguez at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 4 15:14:03 CDT 2000

   I am about to design a small content management system based in xml,
just to experiment. It will be coded in PHP. The CMS will only
support articles and news.

   Here are some thoughts i have and some ideas and I would love
if you can comment on them or answer my questions.

---

   The php code will handle the flow of the document, user management,
permissions and so based on user data thats on a DB.

   I want to use a DB to store article, news and user data on, so
that I can get the latest articles and news from it. This is not
very smart since the xml and the db will contain duplicated data,
for example, the name of the contributor of the article. My question
here is: can I somehow parse all the xml files to obtain from them
the, lets say, the id of the contributor ? I think this should be
possible, but what tools do I use ?

   Is the idea of using a DB to store info about the news and articles
a bad idea ? (duplicated data)

   Since i want to be as much browser independent as possible i want to
use a server side transformation of xml data into html. I found about
LotusXSL
from ibm. Does anyone know of another way to convert xml data to html ? Is
this the best way to go ?

   I want to support wap. Is there such thing like an emulator for wap ?
or a nokia emulator where i can preview ?

   Thanks for your thoughts and ideas.