[thelist] Domain redirection

Warden, Matt mwarden at odyssey-design.com
Mon Aug 7 11:35:40 CDT 2000

> Madhu Menon wrote:
> >
> > I run an NT server with IIS.
> >
> > I have a domain, somedomain.com running on the server
> >

> Add all the permutations of the domain to the host headers on the Site
Properties and
> you can have both URLs pointing to the same site.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he wants actual redirection, so that
only http://somedomain.com shows up in the address bar. Usually, this is for
branding-type stuff (just in case you were saying "what the...?"). I don't
know the proceedure for this, but one way could be simply to have a script
on the default.asp page in the root directory which simply sniffed and
redirected (like you mentioned). Really, having this on every page won't get
you much. Someone would have to type in
http://www.somedomain.com/mydir/mypage.asp. Your call. Someone on thelist
can probably tell you how to do this a better way. Yahoo! does this. If you
type in http://sdflja.yahoo.com, it will redirect to http://www.yahoo.com.

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com