[thelist] Color Concensus

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 7 13:36:29 CDT 2000

> From: Cassel Kroll <Casselk at go.com>
>
> I've been working on a new site and looking at other sites for color
> inspiration... I'm observing more and more sites are utilizing non"Web
> Safe"colors.  Has the school of thought on the standard 216 changed?
> Are browsers agreeing on other color codes?   Any otger thoughts
> explaining this trend?

depends on your audience... in fact, i know my audience quite well,
so i can tell which way to go... if you are at all curious, check out
my article "Real-World Browser Size Stats, Part II" at
http://www.evolt.org/index.cfm?menu=8&cid=2297 ...

i found that the average user to my company site has a bit-depth of
16-bit... since the web-safe palette tends to fall apart for 16-bit
users, i don't worry so much about web-safe - in certain places...

for instance, the screen captures on our client pages, as well as
some other content on the site, uses an adaptive palette, and
doesn't worry so much about the 216...

but the main colors of the site (the large flat fields of color) use a
web-safe color... in fact, whenever i use a large field of color, i still
shoot for a web-safe color...

it really depends on your audience and how you choose to build for
them...