[thelist] Re: thelist OT (verbage)

Tara Cleveland taracleveland at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 7 15:24:33 CDT 2000

Hi all,

The only place I've heard the terms "impacted" and "verbage" is working for
web design firms. In my experience, these terms are used more by marketing
types, but maybe that's just an isolated experience.  One of the firms I was
working for actually used these terms on their website. When I pointed out
that it wasn't proper English to use them (and probably looked
unprofessional to clients), the VPs decided to use them anyway.

I've got to say that they annoy the hell out of me. I agree that impacted
(as used to describe an impact of something on something else) is a vague
way of describing an impact, good or bad. The proper use of the term
describes impacted wisdom teeth (not exactly a positive association).
Verbage annoys me because it is just a mispronunciation of verbiage, a wordy
term in any case. If you're going to be wordy and pretentious, you should
know the words you're using.

My 2 cents.

Tara Cleveland

<tip type=I can never think of anything very good>
If you are a freelancer or a temp (for Aquent like me), and work in
different companies it can be really handy to put a page on your personal
website with all of the resources that you might need so you can access it
online. For example a 216-colour palette, a link to evolt, a link to
javascript libraries, a link to your invoice form/timesheets etc.
</tip>