[thelist] Re: the Aquent salary guides

Tara Cleveland taracleveland at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 7 15:37:44 CDT 2000

Hi all,

I know I'm a little late (like a few centuries late) in adding to this
discussion, but oh well...

This is just a little addition to the discussions around the Aquent salary
guides. The reason the hourly rate and the salaried rate is so different has
partially to do with Aquent's own fees. If they hire someone out hourly they
pay the worker a little more than a salaried job, but the charge the client
company extra for all their added administration costs (believe me the
workers don't see wages like that! $120 per hour, I wish). The salaried rate
is a guideline for when Aquent places a worker permanently (therefore they
have less administration costs but they still retain about 30% of the quoted
salary).  I once went to an interview for a permanent placement and the
salary I would get would be a little less than the hourly rate I receive,
around 55-60K Canadian, but Aquent  would charge the company more like
75-85K.

The thing that gets me is that the numbers are the same for Canadian and
American dollars, even though the American dollar is worth waaayyyy more.
The 55K Canadian salary (worth more like 35K American) would be 55K American
if I lived just over the border. Of course, I'd rather live here, but I wish
we got paid on par. It always boggles my mind how much more American
salaries are.

Just in case anyone was wondering.

Tara Cleveland