[thelist] Sound File

Steve Cook sck at biljettpoolen.se
Tue Aug 8 08:48:45 CDT 2000

I'm going to be cheeky here Doug!

I would suggest not playing it at all, unless there's a jolly good reason!
Why? Well, in general, sound files on the front page of a site become VERY
quickly a repetitive nuisance. Think about this - if your users have to
leave the front page and return to it, each time they return, they will get
the same bit of music starting up. Believe me, it becomes irritating very
quickly.

Having said this, you could consider the following things -

	If your site is sound based, if you are a musician for instance, you
might want to have a random song playing each time someone comes on, thereby
demonstrating your music.
	If you are determined to have the music, provide the controls for it
to be switched off.
	Consider using cookies or some other recognition method, so that it
only plays on the first visit, or once a month using the same techniques as
Aardvark describes here: http://evolt.org/index.cfm?menu=8&cid=416

Regarding file size, if you are using a streaming technique, such as Flash
or Real Media, then the sound file shouldn't affect the loading of the page
too much - assuming that people have the particular plug-in / component
installed.

Yup, I know that was very opinionated of me, but I hope that I've also given
you some useful ideas for how sound might be implemented on your site.

.steve

   WapWarp - http://wapwarp.com
 Wap-Dev - http://www.wap-dev.net
 Cookstour - http://cookstour.org