[thelist] Bad Code vs Keeping Job

martin burns martin at members.evolt.org
Tue Aug 8 08:56:54 CDT 2000

Laura wrote:
>Should I stand up for Good Code and risk having to quit
> over
> my principles or should I just bite the bullet and shove in all the
> extra code
The way to approach this is along the lines of "Building it with proper coding will bring these benefits (usability, disabled accessibility (see Isaac's article today for an example), cross-browser consistency etc). At some point we will have to do this - you'll have a small job now, or a larger job later. But if you really want me to code it the same as the other pages, I can".

I've taken this approach with a site I'm working on, and it's just beginning to bite now (5 months later...) with the usability audit we're commissioning.

> We've just gone through a redesign, which I would have thought
> would be the perfect time to fix these things,

You'd think, eh? Was it a visual redesign, or a coding rebuild?

>but nobody seemed
> terribly
> concerned or inclined to fix them when I brought them up.

So you've another redesign (rebuild rather) on the way.

Cheers
Martin