[thelist] Bad Code vs Keeping Job

l a u r a *^* l y n c h cyberminkie at cyberwhirled.com
Tue Aug 8 09:38:44 CDT 2000

> > We've just gone through a redesign, which I would have thought
> > would be the perfect time to fix these things,
>
> You'd think, eh? Was it a visual redesign, or a coding rebuild?

Mostly code, but a little visual (mostly to support the code rebuild, which
got rid of a *lot* of frames). If it was just visual, then I coud see not
wanting to muck about in the code, but since we're mucking about in the code
anyway...

> >but nobody seemed
> > terribly
> > concerned or inclined to fix them when I brought them up.
>
> So you've another redesign (rebuild rather) on the way.

Somehow, I doubt it. The one guy who's essentially in charge of the site is
the original designer from 3 years ago, so I don't see this stuff getting
fixed while he's there, and I think he'll be there forever.

The more I think about this, the more I think I'll be better off in the long
run finding another job. I really need to learn what questions to ask in an
interview, I think. My last job was a constant disappointment because when I
went and surfed the site before the interview I thought, 'Wow! They really
do need some design help! Wonder how soon they'll want the redesign?' and it
turned out that they *liked* the ugly, unusable, uninspirational crap they
had. And my design style didn't mesh with the "Art Director's" (don't get me
started) -- and usability/user preference was completely low priority to
them. So I went out and found another job. Hip young startup, people that
have pretty much always worked either on the internet or in digital media in
one form or another. The design isn't terribly exciting or cutting edge, but
it's clean, easy on the eyes and definitely usable. So I took a look at the
code, and boy is it ugly (actual code, not just bad style). I figured they
were looking for someone to clean it up, especially when I was told that the
job would include a lot of maintenance. Wrong again. I guess I don't really
ask these questions for fear of offending the person who originally built
the site. And don't get me wrong -- except for the bad coding practices, I
really do enjoy working there. Project management is the best I've ever had
(I'm one of those people who gets very cranky when 8 billion last minute
things are thrown at me when they could have been given to me two weeks
before so I wouldn't have to do them all at once), I can do the occasional
telecommute, the price is right, the people are cool, and the site is pretty
prominent, gets good press, and is unlikely to go under in light of our
subject matter (sex) and established community (app. 50,000). But dammit, it
oughtta be done *right*! And there's no excuse but laziness for doing it
wrong! Damn, damn, damn! Sigh. I definitely owe a tip now.

<tip type=happy tables>
Quite often, many layers of nesting are unnecessary to support your desired
structure, even though it may seem like it when you first build the page. Go
ahead and start with as many layers of nested tables as you want/think you
need, then go back and start removing them from the inside out (deepest
first). Check your page after each removal, both with your validator (you
*do* use a validator, right?) to make sure you got all the tags and with
your browser to make sure your desired structure is still stable.
</tip>

l a u r a *^* l y n c h
design doyen @ c y b e r w h i r l e d
http://www.cyberwhirled.com