[thelist] Self-serve

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 8 14:41:08 CDT 2000

> From: "elkay" <lwkraemer at earthlink.net>
>
> "We will not be requiring hosting services, I will want it to reside
> on my local server. We have a DSL Internet connection running at 144K
[...]
> submit new orders that we can verify then ship on.  Security is a
> major concern..."
>
> Not being a server admin type or having ever set up a site this way,
> would anyone like to offer comments or cavaets for this type of
> request.

yeah, if security is a major concern, then it should be up to them...
if they don't even have a firewall, then just laugh at them (too many
folks on DSL don't)...

it's not your problem, you are not a server admin nor do you want
the hassle of trying to do it or outsource it... their system should
be secure already, so have them secure on their own dime... if it's
not secure, do not make it part of a web site project, it doesn't
belong there...