[thelist] CSS for Mac and PC

Richard H. Morris richard.morris at web-designers.co.uk
Tue Aug 8 16:31:03 CDT 2000

Erika Meyer [erika at seastorm.com] offered:

It wouldn't look as good and for a site I'm looking at now, we'd like to set
the size to allow the layout to work in all browser sizes without getting
lost at higher screen res.

> Or do some areas need a certain size, but not others?

That's the other part of it ~:0)

> What do you mean by the "effect" was different?  Netscape's 'effect'
> is often different for IE.  Is this 'effect' a bad effect?  Or good?
> or tolerable?

When we tried setting the font sizes in pixels, er, I think or was it %,
Netscape rendered the text a different size to how it was shown on IE.

> Things look different on different platforms, monitors, browsers.  If
> you can live with it, if it doesn't break the layout, if it is the
> best you can do, if it's usable, if your code is well-formed &
> valid... it's probably in good shape.

Well we've finally got around to getting an iMac to preview sites on so we
can then test for the popular platforms and browsers.

Layout is important to us, hence trying to set relative font sizes and
faces, but it has to be the case that we don't want the sites to be
illegible on a Mac, say, or just to look awful on any platform!

> The less exact things like fonts have to be, the more portable the
> site will be.

True enough. But layout is part of the design look 'n' feel for some
Clients.

Regards,

Richard

_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/ _/ _/ _/ _/
Richard H. Morris, Director, Web Designers Ltd
        http://www.web-designers.co.uk
        Registered in England No 3506389
                  Registered Office:
3 Church Street Wymondham Norfolk NR18 0PH
                   Trading Address:
  4 Maden Close Wymondham Norfolk NR18 0UA
               T: +44 (0)1953 606158
               F: +44 (0)1953 606185