[thelist] Creating Divs on the fly

Karen Bowen KarenB at FrontierSoftware.com.au
Wed Aug 9 22:56:17 CDT 2000

Hi everyone,

I'm new here.  :-)

I am working on a page that needs to be able to display dynamic data as it
gets it.  (It's linked to transactional backend engine).

Currently we use a sluggish system that completely rewrites the page
whenever new data arrives.  I would like to do this using div's, and
dynamically rewrite them using IE's innerText/innerHTML properties (our
clients use IE only).

I'd also like to be able to create more divs on-the-fly as they become
needed, and then be able to hide & display the various layers in order to
keep data available and reduce the number of calls to the backend.

I'm having a bit of trouble however.  The thing that seems to be stopping me
is that I can't create new Divs after the initial loading of the page is
complete, so I guess my first question is if this is, in fact, possible?

Thanks in advance,
Karen