[thelist] using ASP and databases for images

Steve Cook sck at biljettpoolen.se
Fri Aug 11 04:18:18 CDT 2000

Hi Kevin,

I would suggest that if you have C as a ground language, then PHP may well
be easier to pick up than ASP - however the latest version of ASP, ASP+ will
include support for a new language called C#, which is going to be a kind of
subset of the C langauge with improved handling of Internet based
information (such as information returned from forms). I personally use both
for different purposes and I would suggest that PHP is great to program, but
I'm only used to using it on Linux. I have no idea how strong it is on
Windows.

Sorry, I didn't want to muddy the waters for you, but your choice might be
made easier considering that there are no ISP's running ASP+ yet. There's
more information here:
<wrap>
http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?url=/code/sample.asp%3Furl%3
D/msdn-files/027/000/976/msdncompositedoc.xml
</wrap>
and at www.asptoday.com

Aside from that, as a beginner, whichever method you choose, you should
almost certainly take an existing script and modify it to your needs. That's
how I have learnt every programming language I use today. It saves a LOT of
time and for the sort of functionality you require there are many solutions
already available.

If you are looking to the future with your application and see that you will
need to update the selection frequently, then you are almost certainly
right, that a database solution will be best. However, even in that case, I
personally would store the images themselves in normal directories and the
the information about each image (name, order, description etc) in the
database itself.

Wah - that looks like I've given loads of random info to you there! I hope
it ends up being helpful.

.steve