[thelist] Textarea formating

dave gray dascott at wam.umd.edu
Fri Aug 11 08:22:18 CDT 2000

actually, this should be:

function makeBold(){
  var fullText = document.forms[0].fred.value;
// the function on the next line probably doesn't exist...
// i forget how to do that 'get the user-selected text
// from the browser' thing...
  var selectedText = document.selectedText.createRange();
  var whatToMatch = new RegExp(selectedText);
// the important change was here... there would be no .leftContext
// or .rightContext the way i did it before DOH
  var resultArray = whatToMatch.exec(fullText);
  newText = whatToMatch.leftContext + "<b>" + whatToMatch.lastMatch +
  "</b>" + whatToMatch.rightContext;
  document.forms[0].fred.value=newText;
}

<textarea name=fred></textarea>