[thelist] Database connections using IP addresses?

Scott Dexter sgd at ti3.com
Fri Aug 11 15:35:23 CDT 2000

> What I think you will need to do is setup an ODBC DSN with
> the server's IP
> address embedded in there, then call the ODBC DSN by name in
> your ASP Code.

Do that. Also make sure you're running a fairly recent version of the Data
Access Components (MDAC); the current release is 2.5 (and freely available
for download at MS). When you set up your /system/ DSN, on the second page
of the set up is a button titled, 'Client Configuration...' --click that and
change the network library to TCP/IP sockets (the default is named pipes),
and change the host name to the actual address.

>From there, you need to get together with the gods of your firewall and open
up port 1433 just for your web box to the server. Make sure you and your
firewall gods narrow the access to the sprcific IP's you need.

And last, but not least, make sure the SQL Server is listening to TCP/IP.

That should get you up and running.

sgd
--
think safely