[thelist] Critique please (http://squalidnet.port5.com)

Jorah Lavin madstone at madstone.net
Sun Aug 13 08:30:24 CDT 2000

At 02:10 AM 8/13/00, you wrote:
> > Greetings one and all,
> >
> > Could a few of you please spare a few minutes to check out a preview
> > site for my band's website, squalidnet at:
> > http://squalidnet.port5.com

On my older PC monitor, set to 256, you can clearly see the background area
of the logo... it doesn't blend well with the background of the page
itself. (can you make it transparent?)

I hated the mouse-over that causes me to lose the band photo.

I wanted to see some visual alignment somewhere... at the very least, I'd
think that the width of the top menu could match the width of the header,
and the height of the logo could be the same as the band photo.  Maybe the
logo and the band image could be merged somehow?

Your HTML validates:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://squalidnet.port5.com/lyrics.html
on the lyrics page, but the CSS is a mess.  http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

I would lose that damned mouse-over on the band photo... if you want to
play with the red "go home" scrawl, then use the logo itself for the
action. (better yet, use some CSS effects on the text menu to give some
light mouse-over feel to the page)

If I were you, I'd not write in third-person; it seems pretentious to me.

Find someone who has a good knack with a camera, and put up only the
sharpest, best images.  Film is cheap.  Shoot 90-120 photos over a few days
and chose the best 10 for the site.  (Maybe you can find a budding
photojournalist who would like to have her name online in return for doing
the photo work for you?)  [IMHO, this sort of funkiness can work...
http://squalidnet.port5.com/images/pics/non-live/mrdave1.jpg for your band,
so build on it!]

The writing style is fun and light.  Show me more writing, tell me when and
where the band will be playing again... build a real style online that
reflects what you are trying to project on the stage.

-Jorah