[thelist] Visitor Statistics

Lauri Väin optima at hot.ee
Mon Aug 14 13:33:38 CDT 2000

Hello everybody,

> ummm... don't caching proxies cache images as well?

Yes, they DO... caching proxies speed up browsing(at least a bit) and
images are nowadays the things that eat up the most bandwidth, so they
will be cached too.

> I think you'd need to add HTTP headers to force the proxy not to cache
your
> content. I Don't known them off the top of my head, but they are
different
> for HTTP 1.0 and HTTP 1.1

Don't know the syntax niether, but I think that meta tags will do the
trick too... Some web servers automatically translate meta tags to HTTP
headers and <meta HTTP-EQUIV="" CONTENT=""> tags are seen as HTTP
headers equivalent.

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT='no-cache'>
Tells the browser/server/proxie NOT to cache the current page nor
anything on it.

I guess that
<META HTTP-EQUIV="expires" CONTENT="Fri, 31 Dec 1999 23:59:59 GMT">
would do the trick too... Just make PHP or some other server side
scripting language to enter the current date/time instead of the date
above...

Just an option

bye-bye
Lauri Väin