[thelist] Critique please (http://squalidnet.port5.com)

kevin raleigh krr at ix.netcom.com
Mon Aug 14 16:26:45 CDT 2000

I actually would like to employ javaScript for image navigation purposes.
I was given a script by one of the members "still haven't had time to
understand it yet!"
It allows one to create a database "lack of better discription" of images
and use javaScripting functions to pull them out dynamically.

One other use I would like to use DHTML for is the show - hide function of
CSS and JavaScript
Seems it would be the perfect solution for spooning up information in
digestable chunks.

I have a few pages "mostly demos" in mind where the information on the page
would be laid out in a table format.
The center table would float and within the table would be divisions to hold
the information. Each division would contain a block of data pertaining to a
particular title.

Since Data weights nothing and it is the images and such that kill the
downloads I thought this to be a great solution for delivering information
on large pages. The reader would just have the one subject on the screen and
each division would contain its own formatting. Using a submenu similar to
the test page I posted earlier I see the page being scanned thru similar to
a slide show or a microfish scanner.

What if any holes does this type of approach contain?
The code it self is not all that complex.
To the best of my knowledge the page is backward compatible. It should
display all information within the <div> tags as if they weren't there. So
instead of having a page that looks like the yellow pages for products or
info you have small pieces of information.

The one thing I have always disliked about the web is the pages get bloated
with information. I see this as a good alternative to the bloat.
thanx
krr