[thelist] Amazon redesign (those darn tabs)

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 16 07:20:49 CDT 2000

> From: Steve Cook
>
> I wonder if the web is destined to be like real
> life, where fashion mistakes
> such as flared jeans do the rounds and pop up
> again every 25 years :-)

uhhh... you might not like the new evolt.org design... but
it's only one tab, and it ain't a tab in the standard
sense...

tabs can be quite useful navigation elements, and while
Jakob suggest they should only be used to re-represent the
same data, their use has been usurped to more than that
thanks to the web... it's a de facto nav element, like it or
not...

however, there are many problems with them if not used
correctly, and can impede use with only a couple
modifications... for instance, if tabs change physical
location, size, shape, etc. (color is acceptable) between
states, they're pretty much useless at that point and you're
better off using something else...

anyway... the new Amazon design is a bit bizarre... they
have like 500 stores, but they'll only ever list 5 or so as
buttons off to the side, and they have this 'welcome' tab
that's the metaphorical equivalent of the 'start' button...
all in all, it's cleaner, but i don't think it's much
better...