[thelist] MS Passport = evil scourge of modern man?

Peggy Daniels pegdaniels at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 16 11:32:29 CDT 2000

Hail thelist,

It seems like kind of a slow day, for me anyway.  I just read this article
<wrap>
http://joel.editthispage.com/stories/storyReader$139
</wrap>
from Joel on Software, and thought some of you might find it interesting.
He discusses how Microsoft Passport may bring about an end to whatever
privacy we have left on the web.  A quote:

"Am I the only one who is terrified about Microsoft Passport? It seems to me
like a fairly blatant attempt to build the world's largest, richest consumer
database, and then make fabulous profits mining it. It's a terrifying threat
to everyone's personal privacy and it will make today's "cookies" seem
positively tame by comparison." --Joel on Software

Is there any validity to this claim?  or is he an alarmist?  As one who is
required to use all sorts of MS products every day (working for The Man, you
know), I set up a hotmail account without a second thought.  An easy way to
keep my personal mail out of my work inbox, or so I thought.  I'm curious to
hear any reactions you all might have.  Meanwhile, I guess I should work on
a flexible email plan that gets me off hotmail....

oh, and, in case this ends up being woefully off topic (although given the
frequency of cookie discussions and rants, i think it is on topic), i'll
think of a tip over lunch and post it later.

good day everyone,
Peggy Daniels
Web Designer, Aston IT Group North America
pkd at astonit-us.com  pegdaniels at hotmail.com