[thelist] Lightweight Mac Web Server?

McCreath_David McCreath_David at xmail.asd.k12.ak.us
Wed Aug 16 18:45:10 CDT 2000

What kind of server will your pages ultimately reside on? Because most Mac
servers out there are pretty Mac-y, ie, they're not going to behave like
other servers. Any Perl programming you do will have to be done in MacPerl
which is a little different than Perl, and I don't know that PHP is even
available for Macs (could easily be wrong.)

Aside from WebSTAR, WebTen (http://www.webten.com), an Apache server for Mac
($500) is probably the other major player. Your other options are the
built-in servers that come with FileMaker Pro, Lasso, and 4D, but those are
all designed for pretty specific applications.

Perhaps you just need a connection to a development server or a laptop that
can run the same server you use for your real site.

Dave