[thelist] oracle on linux

Daniel J. Cody djc at five2one.org
Thu Aug 17 16:41:06 CDT 2000

Hey Ben -

This is actually something I've talked quite a bit about over the last 4
months to oracle users groups, so I can give you some good answers  :)

You can keep your linux box as your DB server. Although Sun hardware
*is* very nice, linux on intel will work very well for you as well. You
lose (almost)zero functionality with the Linux version of Oracle
compared to its Solaris or NT or HP-UX counterparts.

The evolt.org website, more specifically its backend DB, run on Oracle
and Linux. Although its not a 'mammoth' database by any means, it
handles (just for evolt) about 95,000 page views a month, all of which
are DB driven, with many of those pages having multiple DB connections.
it runs very well :)

For larger DB's, one of our clients has tables with 300K, 1.2million,
and 650K rows that are on the same oracle box and they have been very
happy with the performance.

I'm happy cus i can run it on less expensive hardware(intel servers) on
a free OS. Naturally, you still pay for oracle, but IMHO its a sweat
deal.

If you have more questions, feel free to download my presentation(for a
regional oracle users group) on the subject(made with star office,
guaranteed virus free :) at http://www.oracular.com/files/tcoug.ppt

If you have any more questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them :)

.djc.