[thelist] registration ethics

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 18 10:26:06 CDT 2000

> From: "J.B.Nick" <jbnick at postmark.net>
>
> wondering how y'all feel about the appropriateness of a webmaster
> designating him or herself as the sole contact for administration,
> technical and billing, when asked to register a site for a business or
> organization to which he/she has only a contractual relation.  I mean,
> for my own sites, I tend to put myself for everything, but when
> registering for a client, instead I put me as admin, the ISP as tech
> and the domain registrant as billing contact.  This seems to avoid any
> potential conflict of interest, and provides some checks and
balances.

as a rule, my name only appears as technical contact, and often
it's the ISP... i am assuming you are talking about registering a
domain name, not a 'site', correct?

the client is paying for the site, and will own the domain, right?  in
that case, i make sure my name is nowhere on any of it -- the
client is the admin and the billing contact, and the ISP is often the
technical contact...

seems simple enough to me, otherwise it looks like you're trying to
hornswoggle 'em...