[thelist] CDONTS

Joel Morris joelm at citycent.com
Sun Aug 20 10:36:25 CDT 2000

Check with your ISP - they may not be using CDONTS, but have another similar
e-mail component installed (ASPEmail, ASPmail, WT_mail, etc.).

All of them operate similarly, so you'd just have to tweak your code
slightly.

If the ISP says they're running CDONTS, then debug by making things simpler.
Instead of using variables (like strTo) put in your e-mail address (with the
quotation marks), "kev.skindrill at bigfoot.com".

Here is a snip of code I use with CDONTS that includes a little error trap
to catch any problems and display them:

---------------------------------

Mailer.From		= strEmail    'or replace these variables with actual strings
Mailer.To 		= strSendto   'such as "somebody at somedomain.com"
Mailer.Subject    = strSubject
Mailer.Body       = strBody
Mailer.Send

'Generate an error if any problem
On Error Resume Next
'Mail.Send
If Err <> 0 Then
   Response.Write "Error encountered: " & Err.Description
End If

'Terminate mail object
Set Mailer = Nothing

---------------------------------

If all else fails, talk to the ISP. Do they have CDONTS installed? If so,
can they give you some sample code that they know works? If they have no
e-mail components installed, can they install one (CDONTS is free with IIS,
ASPemail is a free download from aspemail.com)?

Good luck.

Joel
CityCenter Co.
Web Development & Marketing