[thelist] DSL-based hosting & email

John Snippe johns at cybernautica.com
Mon Aug 21 14:13:33 CDT 2000

I am negotiating with PSINet for an aSDL 640/2.2 link that would
allow me to create a webserver host.  They are telling me that I am
allowed to serve webpages, but in the fine print there is a clause
that tells me that:

"B. Use of the Service. Service is limited to Customer, wholly owned
affiliates of Customer, Customer's staff, and Customer's consultants
performing work for Customer. Any third party traffic is prohibited,
except Customer may host world-wide web sites on behalf of third
parties, but may not send any posting (including e-mail) from that
third party back to PSINet's Network or the Internet through the
Service."

Thsi indicates to me that legally I am unable to set up mailserver
activities for my webhosted clients.  My question:  is this legalese
bafflegab, or is PSINet likely to enforce if I indeed go ahead and
set up mailserver access?

Understand that I get a bundle of static IP's and that PSINet is
fully willing and cognisant regarding my webhosting.  It is the email
thing that has me baffled.

On a purely functional level:  how would PSINet be able to discern
that I had indeed gone ahead and set up a mailserver?

Thanks.... JS

<note; crossposted>