[thelist] Site ridicule

kev.skindrill kev.skindrill at bigfoot.com
Mon Aug 21 15:12:54 CDT 2000

Thanks very much for the info ladies & gents, you have all been terribly
kind & gentle :) There are a few things that were bought up that I would
like to explain & perhaps get more feedback on.

<snip>
If this were my site, I would get rid of the purple strips. I think they are
way too strong and it also looks like you don't have all your links filled
in.Also, you don't have that many links, so I don't think you need to run a
whole purple panel down the left side.
</snip>

This was deliberate because I thought a solid stripe would look to
overpowering. Do you not think that having a strip breaks up the page
somewhat? This was the effect I was trying to achieve and I do kinda like
it, but I am open to any other suggestions you might have.

<snip>
Why would you want the quote delivered by multiple media? Funny <title> btw.
</snip>

The reason for this is that the customers often want their quotes delivered
verbally as well as a hard copy for their files.

<snip>
You're using the same colors for active and visited links. This is sure
to confuse. you should use different colors
</snip>

Now this I do feel quite strongly about. I have done this deliberately so as
not to spoil the colour scheme. I realise it is traditional for visited
links to show up as a different colour but on a site like this, is it really
necessary? If you were spending a lot of time on a site with many pages I
realise that  a visual guide to what you have already looked at is a good
thing, but on my site I felt that it wasn't necessary to know if you'ld
looked at the map page or not. I could have used images for the links in
which case they would not change if a page had been visited. Sorry, that
sounded like a rant which it wasn't meant to be. I just wanted to explain
why I did something & see if anyone else agrees with my logic or if I will
forever be an outcast :)
Thanks also for all the info on style sheets. It's kinda difficult to know
the best way of approaching web design. I have basically spent the last few
months with my head buried in books learning languages so I think it's now
time to concentrate on the other details. I think most newbies will agree
with me that it is a pretty steep learning curve & it's difficult to
prioritize. I had to get this site up pretty quickly because my boss has
suddenly decided he wants a web presence (even though I had all the basic
stuff written months ago!). So, rest assured I have taken everything on
board & will try to correct all the faults you have mentioned. And I thought
I wouldn't have much to do once I'd finished this :)