[thelist] The domain name registration confusion

Peter Small peter at genps.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 22 00:49:20 CDT 2000

Can somebody please explain how this domain name system works. The more I
learn about it, the more confused I get.

The "official" cost of buying/renting seems to be 35 dollars per annum.
But, if you pay a large sum of money to one of several organisations, you
can register domain names at a fraction of this cost. There are other
places where you can obtain domain names very cheaply. Some of them you can
get domain name registration for free.

Some of these cheap or free places to register a domain name charge a large
fee for transference. Some don't. I hear that some places where you
register a domain name you own it. At other places you are only renting it.

Can somebody please help me understand all this so I don't get ripped off?
I don't want free, but, I do want to have security that I won't lose the
name at some future date. Also, if I have registered with one compant that
is giving me a bad deal, how can I change to another registration company
without losing the domain name I've registered?

Is there any definitive article anywhere on the Web that explains all this?

I'll be grateful for any guidance through this foggy mine field.

peter
http:www.avatarnets.com

Tell Webtrader to get registered with Core.  If you switch the domain to